5x8 half sheet aba token economy systems and 25 reinforcer rewards with 5 tokens
What is a Token Economy?
Within an educational setting, a token economy is a system for providing positive reinforcement to a child or children by giving them tok
How does a Token Economy work?
The basic principle is that a child earns a certain number of tokens by engagi
The target be
What a target behaviour will be depends on each individual child. Some token economies could be used to increase a child’s desire to complete academic task
What is a Bac
k-Up Reinfo rcer?
A backup reinforcer is an activity, item or pri
Money is a type of Token
The world economy where people go to work, do their job to earn money and then spend this money for things they want or need is pretty much identical to a classroom token economy. The money you earn from employment itself isn’t really what you want – it is a means to an end. What you really want is what you buy with your money because getting money means you get desired items and activities (e.g. car, house, jewellery, food).
For a classroom token economy, a child will go to school, complete academic tasks to earn tokens and then spend these tokens for back-up reinforcers.
‘the number of tokens can bear a simple quantitative relation to the amount of reinforcement
- the tokens are portable and can be in t
he subject's possession even when he is in a situation far removed from that in which the tokens were earned
- no maximum exists in the number of tokens a subject may possess
- tokens can be used directly to operate devices for the automatic delivery of reinforcers
- tokens are durable and can be
continuously present during the delay
- the physical characteristics of the tokens can be easily standardised
- the tokens can be made fairly indestructible so they will not deteriorate during the delay
- the tokens can be made unique and nonduplicable so that the exp
erimenter can be assured that theyare received only in the authorised manner.
In addition, tokens provide a visible record of improvement. This may facilitate social reinforcement from staff members, as well as self-reinforcement.’